THE STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT / THE UNIVERSITY OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK / ALBANY, NY 12234
Office of P-20 Education Policy
The 30% NYS Initiative Application for additional State subsidy is now available.
Who Can Apply
- School Food Authorities (SFAs) that purchase food items and prepare their own school lunches.
- SFAs that contract with a Food Service Management Company to purchase food items and prepare school lunches.
Required Purchase Criteria
- The SFA must have spent at least 30 percent of school lunch costs on New York State (NYS) food products in the 2019-2020 School Year (SY).
When SFAs Can Apply
Once all SFA Child Nutrition reimbursement claims for the 2019-2020 SY have been submitted.
No later than August 15, 2020.
How to Apply: Follow this Three-Step Process
Step 1: Enter Information on the Child Nutrition Management System (CNMS)
1.1) Access the application:
- Go to www.cn.nysed.gov
- Log in into CNMS (username and password required)
- Click on SFA Annual Information
- Select SFA Annual Information for School Year 2019-2020
- Click on 30% NYS Initiative (this link only appears after all claims for the 2019-2020 SY have been submitted)
The application is pre-populated with:
- Total Federal and State Reimbursement –National School Lunch Program, School Breakfast Program, Afterschool Snack, Summer Food Service Program and Special Milk Program reimbursement received by the SFA for the 2019-2020 SY
- Total Federal and State Lunch Reimbursement - based on the SFA 2019-2020 SY lunch claims
1.2) Enter 2019-2020 SY Data:
- Total Annual Food Costs- The cost of all food purchased for breakfast, lunch, snack, summer food, a la carte, adult meals, catering, etc. Do not include the value of USDA (commodity) foods
- Total Annual Sales- The amount of revenue received from the sale of all foods including breakfast, lunch, snack, summer food, a la carte, adult meals, catering etc.
- Other- The amount of additional reimbursement received through Child and Adult Food Program, if applicable
- Total Annual Reimbursable School Lunch Sales- The total amount of revenue received from the sale of reduced-price and paid lunch meal sales
- Total Cost of NYS Food Products for NSLP* –The total cost of NYS foods purchased for the school lunch program
*Please Note: Schools that participated in the Seamless Summer Option (SSO) of the National School Lunch Program while schools were closed due to COVID 19 can include the cost of NYS products in the lunches served through the SSO.
Schools that participated in the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) while schools were closed due to COVID 19 can not include the cost of NYS products used in these meals, or in any meals served through the SFSP. However, All SFSP food costs and sales associated with SFSP operations from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020 should be included. The federal and State reimbursement from the SFSP will be prepopulated in the application.
1.3) Click Insert
A message will display to indicate if the SFA has met the 30% eligibility criteria. If the SFA meets the 30% criteria, an email containing the required attestation statement will be sent to the CNMS administrator and the CNMS user who entered the application information. If the SFA does not meet the 30% criteria, a message will display to indicate that the SFA does not qualify.
Step 2: Complete the 30% NYS Initiative Attachment excel document & Sign the Attestation Statement
2.2) Complete the 30% NYS Initiative Attachment excel document with the following information:
- Indicate your SFA name and 12-digit LEA Code
- List each NYS food item and the total dollar value contributing to the 30% threshold
- Indicate the documentation used to verify that each food item meets the definition of a NYS Food Product as defined in the 30% NYS Initiative Guidance
- Indicate next to each NYS food item if the item is used in multiple programs (ex: used at both breakfast and lunch). If the food item is used in multiple programs, provide a written description of how your SFA properly separated out the cost of the NYS food items used solely for the lunch program.
Step 3: Submit the completed 30% Initiative Attachment and the signed Attestation Statement to firstname.lastname@example.org
3.1) Email the signed attestation statement AND the completed 30% NYS Initiative Attachment excel document to email@example.com no later than August 15, 2020.
Failure to submit the signed attestation statement by the deadline will result in the application being deemed abandoned and no longer subject to further consideration.
SFA records to support NYS purchases are not required to be submitted at the time of application unless specifically requested.
All SFAs wishing to receive the additional reimbursement should expect an off-site and/or on-site review of documentation by SED. It is expected all SFAs applying for the initiative have supporting documentation available at the time their application is submitted. Upon request, SFAs are required to make all accounts and records pertaining to its school food service immediately available to USDA, SED or any other authorized entity, for audit or review.
- The SFA CNMS administrator and CNMS users will receive email notification of the application approval.
Amount of 30% NYS Initiative State Subsidy for 2020-2021 SY Lunches
- $.1901 for each free and paid lunch meal bringing total State reimbursement to 25 cents/lunch.
- $.0519 for every reduced-price lunch meal bringing the total State reimbursement rate up to 50 cents/lunch.
For more information about the NYS 30% Initiative visit the CN website: http://www.cn.nysed.gov/content/additional-state-subsidy-purchasing-new-york-state-food-products.
If you have any questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.