THE STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT / THE UNIVERSITY OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK / ALBANY, NY 12234
Office of P-20 Education Policy
The 30% NYS Initiative Application for additional State subsidy is now available.
Who Can Apply:
- School Food Authorities (SFAs) that purchase food items and prepare their own school lunches.
- SFAs that contract with a Food Service Management Company to purchase food items and prepare school lunches.
Required Purchase Criteria:
- The SFA must have spent at least 30 percent of school lunch costs on New York State (NYS) food products in the 2018-2019 School Year (SY).
When SFAs Can Apply:
- Once all SFA Child Nutrition reimbursement claims for the 2018-2019 SY have been submitted.
- No later than August 15, 2019.
How to Apply:
- Follow this two-step process:
Step 1: Enter Information on the Child Nutrition Management System (CNMS)
1.1) Access the application:
- Go to www.cn.nysed.gov
- Log in into CNMS (username and password required)
- Click on SFA Annual Information
- Select SFA Annual Information for School Year 2018-2019
- Click on 30% NYS Initiative (this link only appears after all claims for the 2018-2019 SY have been submitted)
The application is pre-populated with:
- Total Federal and State Reimbursement –National School Lunch Program, School Breakfast Program, Afterschool Snack, Summer Food Service Program and Special Milk Program reimbursement received by the SFA for the 2018-2019 SY
- Total Federal and State Lunch Reimbursement - based on the SFA 2018-2019 SY lunch claims
1.2) Enter 2018-2019 SY Data:
- Total Annual Food Costs- The cost of all food purchased for breakfast, lunch, snack, summer food, a la carte, adult meals, catering, etc. Do not include the value of USDA (commodity) foods
- Total Annual Sales- The amount of revenue received from the sale of all foods including breakfast, lunch, snack, summer food, a la carte, adult meals, catering etc.
- Other- The amount of additional reimbursement received through Child and Adult Food Program, if applicable
- Total Annual Reimbursable School Lunch Sales- The total amount of revenue received from the sale of reduced-price and paid lunch meal sales
- Total Cost of NYS Food Products for NSLP –The total cost of NYS foods purchased for the school lunch program
1.3) Click Insert
A message will display to indicate if the SFA has met the 30% eligibility criteria. If the SFA meets the 30% criteria, an email containing the required attestation statement will be sent to the CNMS administrator and the CNMS user who entered the application information. If the SFA does not meet the 30% criteria, a message will display to indicate that the SFA does not qualify.
Step 2: Submit Signed Attestation Statement to CN@nysed.gov
2.1) Print and Sign
Print the attestation statement and have it signed and dated by the SFA Superintendent, Executive Director, Chief School Officer, or a duly authorized designee.
Email the signed attestation statement to CN@nysed.gov no later than August 15, 2019. Failure to submit the signed attestation statement by the deadline will result in the application being deemed abandoned and no longer subject to further consideration.
SFA records to support NYS purchases are not required to be submitted at the time of application unless specifically requested by this office. However, SFAs must maintain this documentation and make it available for review upon request.
- The SFA CNMS administrator and CNMS users will receive email notification of the application approval.
Amount of 30% NYS Initiative State Subsidy for 2019-2020 SY lunches:
- $.1901 for each free and paid lunch meal bringing total State reimbursement to 25 cents/lunch.
- $.0519 for every reduced-price lunch meal bringing the total State reimbursement rate up to 50 cents/lunch.
For more information about the NYS 30% Initiative, please contact this office at 518-473-8781, or visit the CN website: http://www.cn.nysed.gov/content/additional-state-subsidy-purchasing-new-york-state-food-products.