Skip to main content


Office of P-20 Education Policy
Child Nutrition Program Administration
89 Washington Avenue, Room 375 EBA, Albany, NY 12234
Phone: (518) 473-8781 Fax: (518) 473-0018

School Food Service Directors/Managers
Paula Tyner-Doyle, Coordinator
Thursday, September 1, 2016
SY 2016-2017 Basic Meal Pattern Webinar

1.   Do separate production records need to be used for K-5 and 6-8 age/grade groups when using a K-8 menu?

No. If a SFA is using the K-8 menu, both K-5 and 6-8 age/grade groups are encompassed in one meal pattern. In this example, only the K-8 production records need to be completed and maintained.

2.   Do separate menus and production records need to be used when serving grades 7-12?

A SFA does not need to have a separate menu for the 7-8 and 9-12 age/grade group.  However, because the two age/grade groups have different meal pattern requirements, the two are/grade groups must be tracked separately on production records indicating the appropriate portion sizes for 7-8 and the 9-12 age/grade groups.

3.   How should the fruit and vegetable components be recorded on a production record?

Documenting the portion size correctly is one of the most significant problems found with production records.  It is best practice to use volume measurements unless you are weighing items.

4.   How should the serving lines be set-up to assist students with making the correct choices for Offer vs serve (OVS) at breakfast and lunch?

All menu items that are part of the reimbursable meal should be included on signage identified near or at the beginning of the serving line so students can easily choose all the food components/items for a reimbursable meal. A best practice is placing fruits/vegetables by the Point of Service (POS) which allows the students to select a fruit or vegetable ensuring a reimbursable meal and avoiding going back through the serving line.

5.   What is the correct crediting for Sun Butter?

Sun Butter credits the same as Peanut Butter which is 2 Tablespoons =1 oz. eq. meat/meat alternate.

6.   Do condiments need to be offered in PC packets or can they be offered as self-serve (bulk)?

Condiments may be offered in PC packets, pre-portioned, or as self-serve. Condiments must be tracked on the production records or on separate production records and maintained on file. Condiments must be included on production records as they contribute towards the dietary specifications (calories, saturated fat, and sodium). Condiments may be included as part of the standardized recipes for a menu items, listed individually on the production records for portion control, or by tracking the average daily amount used historically.

7.   Can rice cakes be served in the Afterschool Snack Program?

Yes. Rice cakes can be served as a grain component in the Afterschool Snack Program. 

8.   Can the school nurse maintain documentation for students who have special dietary needs?

Yes.  Documentation may be maintained by the school nurse. The statement must be signed by a recognized medical authority such as a physician, physician assistant, or a nurse practitioner and must include an identification of the medical or other special dietary condition which restricts the child’s diet, the food or foods to be omitted from the child’s diet, and the food or choice of foods to be substituted.

If you have any questions, please contact the Child Nutrition Program Office at 518-473-8781 or e-mail:

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

  1. mail:
    U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or
  2. fax:
    (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:


This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Click here for Nondiscrimination Statement translations.