Skip to main content


Office of P-20 Education Policy
Child Nutrition Program Administration
89 Washington Avenue, Room 375 EBA, Albany, NY 12234
Phone: (518) 473-8781 Fax: (518) 473-0018

School Food Service Directors/Managers
Paula Tyner-Doyle, Coordinator
Saturday, October 15, 2016
SY 2016-2017 Income Verification Webinar

1.   When conducting the Error Prone method, what should be used for the bi-weekly and bi-monthly amounts?

Error prone applications are those with a reported income of $24 per week, $100 per month, $1,200 per year, $44 bi-weekly and $50 twice monthly.

2.   Does a Provision 2 school need to conduct verification in a non-base year?

Provision 2 schools in a non-base year are exempt from the verification process but still must submit the Income Verification Collection Report (Attachment G) for sections 1, 2, 3-1 and 5-1.

3.   Will Income Verification Collection Report (Attachment G) instructions be available on the Child Nutrition Knowledge Center website?

Yes. A step by step tutorial will be posted on completing the Income Verification Collection Report (Attachment G) in October. Directions are also available in the Income Verification booklet along with the Income Verification Collection Report (Attachment G).

4.   Would the SFA search for students names on the Direct Certification Matching list when conducting Direct Verification the same way they would if they were conducting the Direct Certification Matching Process (DCMP) through Child Nutrition Management System?

Yes. Student names are obtained the same way in direct verification as they are through direct certification. SFAs may use the last name search to find individual names.

5.   Where can SFAs find the Income Verification Collection Report (Attachment G)?

This form can be found in the Income Verification booklet or you can access it on the Child Nutrition Management System (CNMS).

6.   When using the Error Prone method, if a SFA does not have enough Error Prone applications to verify; do the other applications become income based or categorical based applications?

Since there are not enough Error Prone applications to verify, the SFA would select the remaining application(s) randomly. The application(s) may be either an income or categorical application depending on which type of application is selected.

7.   Since October 1st falls on a weekend this school year and the following Monday and Tuesday are holidays; what date should SFAs begin the verification process?

SFAs should use the next operating day.

8.   If a household submits a W2 form, how would the SFA know if the family is self-employed? Should the SFA notify the family and document the communication?

The SFA would request the family to submit a SE-1040 Form and check the net income to determine the wages. Any clarification on applications should be documented and kept on file for 3 years plus the current year.

9.   During the Administrative Review, what school year(s) will be reviewed pertaining to Income Verification?

Generally SED looks at the current school year but sometimes SFAs may be asked for prior year’s documentation. All documents should be on file for 3 years plus the current year.

10.  Can a household be considered fragile for reasons other than hospitalization and/or health issues?

Yes. If you have questions regarding specific situations please contact your Child Nutrition Representative.

11.  Can SFAs submit Income Verification before the December 15th deadline?

Yes. The CNMS system allows SFAs to enter information as soon as verification process is completed.

12.  When is it appropriate for a 3rd party to assist with the verification follow up notification process?

SFAs may contract with a third party to make additional attempts to follow up with non-responders. A third party may be used when there is a language barrier or when a social worker needs to be involved. 

If you have any questions, please contact the Child Nutrition Program Office at 518-473-8781 or e-mail:

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. 

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1)     mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
         Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
         1400 Independence Avenue, SW
         Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2)     fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3)     email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.


For Nondiscrimination Statement translations, click here.

Los demás programas de asistencia nutricional del FNS, las agencias estatales y locales, y sus beneficiarios secundarios, deben publicar el siguiente Aviso de No Discriminación:

De conformidad con la Ley Federal de Derechos Civiles y los reglamentos y políticas de derechos civiles del Departamento de Agricultura de los EE. UU. (USDA, por sus siglas en ingles), se prohíbe que el USDA, sus agencias, oficinas, empleados e instituciones que participan o administran programas del USDA discriminen sobre la base de raza, color, nacionalidad, sexo, discapacidad, edad, o en represalia o venganza por actividades previas de derechos civiles en algún programa o actividad realizados o financiados por el USDA.

Las personas con discapacidades que necesiten medios alternativos para la comunicación de la información del programa (por ejemplo, sistema Braille, letras grandes, cintas de audio, lenguaje de seas americano, etc.), deben ponerse en contacto con la agencia (estatal o local) en la que solicitaron los beneficios. Las personas sordas, con dificultades de audición o discapacidades del habla pueden comunicarse con el USDA por medio del Federal Relay Service [Servicio Federal de Retransmisión] al (800) 877-8339. Además, la información del programa se puede proporcionar en otros idiomas.

Para presentar una denuncia de discriminación, complete el Formulario de Denuncia de Discriminación del Programa del USDA, (AD-3027) que está disponible en linea en: y en cualquier oficina del USDA, o bien escriba una carta dirigida al USDA e incluya en la carta toda la información solicitada en el formulario. Para solicitar una copia del formulario de denuncia, llame al (866) 632-9992. Haga llegar su formulario lleno o carta al USDA por:

(1)     correo: U.S. Department of Agriculture
         Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
         1400 Independence Avenue, SW
         Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2)     fax: (202) 690-7442; o

(3)     correo electró

Esta institución es un proveedor que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades.