THE STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT / THE UNIVERSITY OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK / ALBANY, NY 12234
Office of P-20 Education Policy
Original memo dated April 21, 2021. Updates are indicated by double asterisks (**).
Waviers and Flexibilities
The New York State Education Department (SED) has elected the use of the Nationwide waiver flexibilities provided by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) for school year 2021-2022:
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow the Seamless Summer Option through School Year 2021-2022
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Summer Food Service Program Reimbursement Rates in School Year 2021-2022
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Non-Congregate Meal Service for School Year 2021-2022
- Nationwide Waiver of Meal Time Requirements for School Year 2021-2022
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Parents and Guardians to Pick Up Meals for Children for School Year 2021-2022
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Specific School Meal Pattern Flexibility for School Year 2021-2022
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Offer Versus Serve Flexibility for Senior High Schools in School Year 2021-2022
- Nationwide Waiver of Area Eligibility in the Afterschool Programs and for Family Day Care Home Providers in School Year 2021-2022
- Nationwide Waiver of Onsite Monitoring Requirements in the School Meals Programs – Revised – EXTENSION
- Nationwide Waiver of Local School Wellness Policy Triennial Assessments in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs
These waiver extensions are expected to facilitate streamlined access to nutritious meals and snacks, while minimizing potential exposure to COVID-19.
- **Previously Issued Questions and Answers Relating to Operation of the Child Nutrition Programs: Updated for School Year 2021-2022
- Questions and Answers for Child Nutrition Program Operations in School Year 2021-2022
- Instructions on How to Elect USDA Waiver Flexibilities in CNMS
- 2021-2022 School Year Waiver Flexibility Summary Chart
Please continue to check this website as additional USDA information and guidance is forthcoming.