Summer Food Service Program Free Meal Policy Statement
1. The ____________________________________________ (sponsor name) announces the sponsorship of the Summer Food Service Program for Children. Meals will be made available at no charge at all sites to all attending children 18 years old and younger. Sponsors of camp sites will make meals available to all children and the meals will be at no charge for income eligible attending children 18 years old and younger.
2. The sponsor assures the New York State Education Department that children are served the same meals and that there is no discrimination in the course of the food service.
3. The sponsor will announce the availability of free meals in the area from which the SFSP site(s) draws its attendance in the form of a public release for all open sites or a parent letter for all enrolled sites.
4. In addition to the above policy of service/nondiscrimination statements described above, all camp sponsors that charge separately for meals must provide written notification to the New York State Education Department and assure that it is adhering to all additional requirements stated in 225.6 (c) (ii) (4) (A) (B) (C) (D) (E) (F) in that:
a. Eligibility standards conform to the Secretary of Agriculture’s family size and income standards for reduced price school meals;
b. Households are permitted to apply for free meals on behalf of children who are members of households receiving SNAP, FDPIR, or TANF benefits by indicating on the application for free Program meals the name(s) of the child(ren) enrolled in the Program and SNAP, FDPIR, or TANF case number(s); and the signature of an adult household member;
c. Payments will be collected from children who pay the full price of the meal in such a way that prevents overt identification of children receiving a free meal;
d. The camp will establish a hearing procedure for families wishing to appeal a denial of an application for free meals. Such hearing procedures shall meet the requirements set forth in 7 CFR Part 225.6 (c) (ii) (5);
e. If a family requests a hearing, the child(ren) shall continue to receive free meals until a decision is rendered; and
f. There will be no overt identification of free meal recipients and no discrimination against any child on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information.
5. The sponsor will retain a copy of all public releases and parent letters for a minimum of three years plus the current year.
Sponsor Name Signature of Sponsor Representative
Sponsor LEA Code Date
This institution is an equal opportunity provider