THE STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT / THE UNIVERSITY OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK / ALBANY, NY 12234
Office of P-20 Education Policy
The New York State Education Department offers both in-person and online training for school Food Service Directors/Managers and interested school business officials, supervisors, cook managers, and others involved with the operation of school nutrition programs. These training are provided at no charge and contribute toward Professional Standards annual training requirements.
Child Nutrition Program Updates Meeting August 2018
These sessions will cover the most recent changes to the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs. Food Service Directors and Cooperative Extension Speakers will discuss creative solutions for implementing Program requirements and share best practices for Breakfast after the Bell and Farm to School. A listing of the locations, dates and times is attached. These sessions will provide three hours towards Professional Standards annual training requirements. A webinar containing the same update information will be posted on our Child Nutrition Knowledge Center for those who are unable to attend. Topics will include:
- NY Initiatives including: Breakfast After the Bell, Equipment Grant, 30% NYS Locally Grown Food
- Child Nutrition Updates
- Prohibition to Meal Shaming
Dates and times of the August 2018 meetings can be found on the Upcoming Events page. Please pre-register on-line by logging into the Child Nutrition Management system and entering your username and password or by completing the registration form. For additional information, call your Child Nutrition representative.
Master Instructor Training Network
Currently, SED Master Instructors are available to teach the NYS 10 Hour Sanitation Course (five two-hour modules) and ServSafe. SFAs requesting training must have a minimum of 10 participants able to attend and provide a training location. To schedule a training, please contact a Master Instructor listed on our website at least 3 months in advance.
In-person trainings are conducted at facilities which will, to the greatest extent possible, meet the accessibility needs of individuals with disabilities. In addition, if special accommodations, such as interpreters, large print or Braille materials are needed, please contact the Child Nutrition office.
SED will host a live webinar in September and this webinar will be recorded and available from the Child Nutrition Knowledge Center website for future viewing.
September 12, 2018
1:00 PM-3:30 PM
Child Nutrition Updates 2018
809 965 764
WebEx requires the use of a computer and phone to view and listen to the presentation. Instructions for accessing the webinar(s) through WebEx are detailed below.
Instructions for registering for SED webinars:
- Go to https://meetnydirect.webex.com/ , click the “Home” tab on the left-hand corner at the top of the screen and enter the Event ID in the blue box provided for each webinar you wish to attend. Select “Join.” You will be redirected to another screen displaying information for the event.
- On the bottom of the screen, select “Register” to register for the event.
- Enter your first and last name, email address and the SFA name in the space provided, and then select your title from the drop-down menu. If you are not associated with an SFA, type “N/A” in the space provided. Please note: it is essential to provide a correct email address that you have access to as WebEx will send the event link, event information, and the registration ID to the email address provided. Once finished, select “Submit.”
- Once you have registered for the webinar, WebEx will send you an email containing the link to access the webinar along with your unique registration ID.
*If the Event ID does not work (Gives “Invalid number or Room ID. Try again” message), click the “Events Center” tab on the center at the top of the screen, click “Attend an Event” then “List of Events” then register for the Event you wish to attend.
The Webinar Library on our website contains pre-recorded webinars on the following topics. Webinars are updated periodically as needed. Each webinar includes the amount of Professional Standard training hour(s) earned.
- Income Verification
- Meal Pattern for Menu Planners
- Basic Meal Pattern
- Center for Best Practices: School Breakfast Center
- Share our Strengths: Getting ready for Breakfast after the Bell
- NYS Initiatives
- Preschool Meal Pattern
- FNS: Buy American
- Buffalo: Farm to School
- Administrative Review
- Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program
- Food Service Management Company
Tutorials are step by step instructions on completing forms and reports that are required to be submitted to SED. Each tutorial provides one credit hour of Professional Standard training.
Guidance is currently available on completing the following forms:
- Paid Lunch Equity Tool
- Annual Renewal Tutorial
- Income Verification Collection Report
CN Snip-It’s are PowerPoint slides with speaker notes that provide detailed information on the following specific topics. Each PowerPoint provides one credit hour of Professional Standards training.
- School Meal Policy
- Production Records
- Standardized Recipes
- Civil Rights
- Procurement Review
- Financial Management
- Micro Purchases
- Offer Vs. Serve
- Accom. Children with Disabilities
- Community Eligibility Provision (CEP)
- Daily Alternate Meals
If you have any questions, please call (518) 473-8781 and ask for your Child Nutrition Representative or email the training team at firstname.lastname@example.org.