Skip to main content


Office of P-20 Education Policy
Child Nutrition Program Administration
89 Washington Avenue, Room 375 EBA, Albany, NY 12234
Phone: (518) 473-8781 Fax: (518) 473-0018

School Food Service Directors/Managers
Paula Tyner-Doyle, Coordinator
Wednesday, October 26, 2016
SY 2016-2017 Administrative Review Webinar Q&A

1. Should a separate email listing the eligibility status from the benefit issuance document be sent to the same email address that the offsite tool is being sent to?

No, you will be working directly with your child nutrition program representative and will send the benefit issuance document to your representative.

2. Does the benefit issuance document need to be sent in by November 15, 2016?

No, the benefit issuance document will reflect your review period. You will want to work with your child nutrition program representative to figure out when the review period will be, and when to send them the benefit issuance document.

3. If the SFA operates with schools that are participating in both CEP and standard counting and claiming, should they include the information for the students in the CEP schools on their benefit issuance document?

No, the benefit issuance document will only include students from Non-CEP schools.

4. How should menu documentation be organized in the binders for an administrative review?

For the menu documentation, SED will select one week in the review period to conduct an in-depth review, as well as the day of review menu documentation. As a best practice, you should provide the menu documentation organized per day, and per program (NSLP/SBP). For Example: For breakfast, in a binder you will include the breakfast menu for the review period. Then you would start with Monday, and have Monday’s production records, followed by, all recipes, labels and product formulation statements for all of the menu items offered on Monday. Follow this process for the rest of the days of the week, for breakfast and for lunch.

5. Are only purchases made from the food service account required to be reported on the procurement table tab?

Yes, only the purchases made from the nonprofit food service account will be reported on that tab. If you have questions regarding specific purchases please contact you child nutrition representative.

6. How long in advance will an SFA be notified of their review?

Typically, your child nutrition representative will notify you about one month prior to your scheduled on-site review. If you have specific questions about your on-site review please call our office and ask to speak with your program representative.

7. Are there any differences if a SFA is operating with a Food Service Management Company (FSMC) in regard to procurement?

No, you will still receive a procurement review even if you are operating with a Food Service Management Company. All SFAs are mandated to follow all state and federal procurement regulations and requirements.

8. Will a PDF copy of this webinar will be available?

Yes, we will be posting a recorded version of the webinar on our website along with the questions and answers that were received.

9. How any credit hours does this presentation count for professional standards?

This webinar will contribute 1.5 hours towards your requirement.

10. Do we need to use the Direct Certification Matching Process (DCMP) for students who are already directly certified in the beginning of the school year or are they certified for the whole school year?

Students who were approved last year for free or reduced meals are provided their same benefits for the 30 operating day carryover into the new school year. The benefits would end when the school receives a new application or directly certifies for them this school year, or after the 30 operating days the benefit status would change to paid if no documentation is submitted. The direct certification list that was available in July this current school year directly certifies students for the entire school year.

11. Do items have to be produced and packaged domestically?

The Buy American provision requires schools, or entities that are purchasing on schools behalf, to purchase, domestic commodities and products. A domestic commodity or product means an agricultural commodity that is produced in the United States and/or a food product that is processed in the United States substantially using agricultural commodities that have been produced in the United States.

“Substantial” means that over 51 percent of the final processed product consists of agricultural commodities that were grown domestically or in a territory of the United States.

12. Where can we find the Diet Specification Tool to complete?

Your child nutrition program representative will send the Dietary Specification Tool to SFAs via email when the administrative review is scheduled.

13. If an SFA charges a paid selling price above $3.00 at all of the schools in the school district, are they required to complete the paid lunch equity tool (PLE)?

SFAs are not required to complete the Paid Lunch Equity Tool if they charge above $3.00. However, SFAs are required to annually evaluate the paid selling price. It may be helpful to SFAs to complete the PLE tool for this reason.

14. Do SFAs need to try and find students names on the DCMP list again if the students were found in August of this school year?

No, once a student is directly certified from a current direct certification list they are eligible for the entire school year.

If you have any questions, please contact the Child Nutrition Program Office at 518-473-8781 or e-mail:

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. 

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1)     mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
         Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
         1400 Independence Avenue, SW
         Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2)     fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3)     email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.


Click here for Nondiscrimination Statement translations.

Los demás programas de asistencia nutricional del FNS, las agencias estatales y locales, y sus beneficiarios secundarios, deben publicar el siguiente Aviso de No Discriminación:

De conformidad con la Ley Federal de Derechos Civiles y los reglamentos y políticas de derechos civiles del Departamento de Agricultura de los EE. UU. (USDA, por sus siglas en ingles), se prohíbe que el USDA, sus agencias, oficinas, empleados e instituciones que participan o administran programas del USDA discriminen sobre la base de raza, color, nacionalidad, sexo, discapacidad, edad, o en represalia o venganza por actividades previas de derechos civiles en algún programa o actividad realizados o financiados por el USDA.

Las personas con discapacidades que necesiten medios alternativos para la comunicación de la información del programa (por ejemplo, sistema Braille, letras grandes, cintas de audio, lenguaje de seas americano, etc.), deben ponerse en contacto con la agencia (estatal o local) en la que solicitaron los beneficios. Las personas sordas, con dificultades de audición o discapacidades del habla pueden comunicarse con el USDA por medio del Federal Relay Service [Servicio Federal de Retransmisión] al (800) 877-8339. Además, la información del programa se puede proporcionar en otros idiomas.

Para presentar una denuncia de discriminación, complete el Formulario de Denuncia de Discriminación del Programa del USDA, (AD-3027) que está disponible en linea en: y en cualquier oficina del USDA, o bien escriba una carta dirigida al USDA e incluya en la carta toda la información solicitada en el formulario. Para solicitar una copia del formulario de denuncia, llame al (866) 632-9992. Haga llegar su formulario lleno o carta al USDA por:

(1)     correo: U.S. Department of Agriculture
         Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
         1400 Independence Avenue, SW
         Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2)     fax: (202) 690-7442; o

(3)     correo electró

Esta institución es un proveedor que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades.