THE STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT / THE UNIVERSITY OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK / ALBANY, NY 12234
Office of P-20 Education Policy
Original memo dated October 13, 2020. Updates are indicated by double asterisks (**).
The New York State Education Department (SED) has elected the use of the Nationwide waiver flexibilities provided by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to allow free meals to continue to be available to all children throughout the entire 2020-2021 school year:
- COVID-19 Response #59 – Nationwide waiver to allow SFSP and SSO operations through SY 2020-21 – extension
- COVID-19 Response #60 – Nationwide waiver to extend area eligibility waivers – extension #3
- COVID-19 Response #61 – Nationwide waiver to allow non-congregate feeding in SFSP/SSO – extension #5
- COVID-19 Response #62 – Nationwide waiver to allow parents and guardian to pick up meals for children – extension #5
- COVID-19 Response #63 – Nationwide waiver to allow meal pattern flexibility in SFSP/SSO – extension #8
- COVID-19 Response #64 – Nationwide waiver to allow area eligibility for closed enrolled sites in SFSP/SSO – extension #2
- COVID-19 Response #65 – Nationwide waiver to waive first week site visits in SFSP – extension #2
- COVID 19 Response #66 – Nationwide waiver of meal service time restrictions in SFSP/SSO – extension #2
- COVID 19 Response #67 – Nationwide waiver to allow OVS flexibilities in SFSP – extension #2
- COVID 19 Response #69 – Nationwide waiver to allow reimbursement for meals served prior to notification of preapproval and provide flexibility for preapproval visits in SFSP – extension
- COVID 19 Response #70 – Nationwide waiver to allow meal pattern flexibility in the Child Nutrition Programs – extension #5
These waiver extensions are expected to facilitate streamlined access to nutritious meals and snacks, while minimizing potential exposure to COVID-19, for the duration of the school year. These extensions are made possible by Section 2202(a) of the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (the FFCRA) (P.L. 116-127), as extended by the Continuing Appropriations Act, 2021 and Other Extensions Act (P.L. 116-159).
Guidance Provided by USDA on School Year 2020-2021 Meal Service Operations
Please continue to check this website as additional USDA information and guidance is forthcoming.