Skip to main content

Revenue (Income)

All revenues received by or accruing to the nonprofit food service account must only be used for the operation and improvement of child nutrition programs.

Types of Revenue: Revenues include, but are not limited to, the following sources of income:

  • Catering, snack and a la carte revenues
  • Credits, discounts, and rebates awarded for the purchase of products or services as well as the value of USDA Foods
  • Earnings on SFA investments
  • Federal and state reimbursements received by or accruing to the nonprofit food service account
  • Non-federal funds supporting the meal or milk programs
  • Other local revenues that support the meal or milk programs
  • Student and adult meals or milk in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP), School Breakfast Program (SBP), or Special Milk Program (SMP)
  • Vending machine income if operated by the SFA

Catering - If the SFA operates a catering program, it must ensure that the income received for catering events covers the full cost of preparing and serving the catered items.

Fundraising - The SFA may use funds from its nonprofit food service account fundraising activities for any allowable cost.

Funds Raised by Recycling - If Child Nutrition funds are used to purchase recycling equipment or products purchased with Child Nutrition funds are recycled, any funds raised from these efforts must be credited to the nonprofit food service account. If the cost and items for recycling is shared with other programs, any funds raised from these efforts must be credited to the nonprofit food service account in proportion to the contribution.

Investments - Earnings on investments using child nutrition funds totally or in part for investment purposes must accrue to the nonprofit food service account and must be used for authorized program purposes.


Back to the Nonprofit School Food Service Account page

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

  1. mail:
    U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or
  2. fax:
    (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Click here for Nondiscrimination Statement translations.