Skip to main content

Summer Food Service Program

The Food and Nutrition Service, an agency of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), administers the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) at the federal level, while the New York State Education Department (NYSED) administers the program at the state level. Locally, it is operated by sponsors who apply for and are approved to operate the program. An overview of the program is provided in the Summer Food Service Program Summary 

Sponsors eligible to participate in SFSP are:

  • Public or private nonprofit schools.
  • Education Service Districts.
  • Units of local, municipal, county, or state government.
  • Public or private nonprofit residential summer camps.
  • Public or private nonprofit colleges and universities sponsoring the Upward Bound Program.
  • Private, nonprofit organizations.
  • Tribal Organizations

Information for Potential New Sponsors

Tools and Resources for a Successful Summer Food Service Program

Memos and Updates




Click For Past Memos

Site and Administrative Review Finding Summaries

Financial Management, Claims and Reimbursements

Financial Management




Determining Eligibility and Site Type

Mapping Tools


Food Safety



Farm to Summer

Public Reports







Annual Requirements



New Sponsor Application May 1st 
Experienced Sponsor Renewal June 1st
New Camp Site Information Sheet June 1st
June Claim August 29th
July Claim September 29th
August Claim October 30th
September Claim November 29th


USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

  1. mail:
    U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or
  2. fax:
    (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Click here for Nondiscrimination Statement translations.