LEAs that had an 80 percent (80%) or greater response rate in the 2017-2018 school year may choose to select an alternate option for verification. (Please see Attachment H, the list of schools with 80% or greater response rate based on 2017-2018 Income Verification, included in this memo). These schools may choose to use the Error Prone Sampling Method (explained above) or may choose one of the following sampling methods:
LEAs must verify the lesser of three percent (3%) or 3,000 of the total number of approved applications on file as of October 1. The applications to be verified must be selected randomly. The random sample should include both income applications and categorically eligible applications for children receiving SNAP/TANF/FDPIR benefits whose names do not appear on the direct certification matching list.
LEAs must verify the lesser of one percent (1%) or 1,000 of the total number of approved applications selected from income applications nearest the income eligibility guidelines (error prone applications); PLUS the lesser of half percent (½ %) or 500 of approved applications which reported a SNAP/TANF/FDPIR case number on an application instead of income information.
The Focused Sampling Method could be accomplished as follows:
LEA with 900 approved applications which include 600 applications that reported a SNAP/TANF/FDPIR case number
1. Count all approved applications, including applications reporting a SNAP/TANF/FDPIR case number to determine the number required to fill the one percent of income sample size
.01 (1%) x 900 = 9
2. Separate applications into two groups:
- Income Applications (non-SNAP/TANF/FDPIR)
- Applications reporting a SNAP/TANF/FDPIR case number
3. From the income applications (non-SNAP/TANF/FDPIR) group, select the sample of households (9) from error prone applications. If you do not have enough error prone applications, select the remainder at random from the income applications.
4. From the applications with a SNAP/TANF/FDPIR case number, determine the number required to fill the .5 percent sample size
.005 (.5 percent) x 600 = 3
5. Choose the applications (3) from those that reported a SNAP/TANF/FDPIR case number.
6. Perform the confirmation review on all selected applications and continue with all steps of verification.
*Note: 12 applications were verified in this example (9 income and 3 SNAP/TANF/FDPIR)