Skip to main content

School Breakfast Program

Single Audit Issues-Sanctions for Non-Compliance School Food Authorities (SFAs)

School Food Authorities (SFAs) expending more than $500,000 in Federal dollars must conduct single audits in accordance with OMB Circular A-133.

Both Federal regulations (3052.225) and Circular A-133 mandate that State agencies take immediate corrective action when sub-recipients (SFAs) either do not conduct single audits, or conduct single audits not in accordance with A-133.

Replacement of Multi-purpose Student ID Cards Used for School Meals

Several schools are now using multi-purpose student identification ID cards for a variety of student privileges.  These may include buses, library services, and building entry, as well as for school meals.  The ID card is encoded with the child's eligibility for school meals.   The question often arises as to whether the child who receives free or reduced priced meals can be required to pay for replacement ID cards.  While USDA has not issued formal guidance on the issue of the replacement of the cards, they have established the following policy:

Meeting the Special Dietary Needs of Homeless Children

The number of homeless children is our schools is increasing. As a result, schools are calling us regarding the documentation needed for a food allergy, or other serious health issue when the family doesn't have health insurance and cannot provide the required documentation of the child's medical situation. While the school can choose to accommodate something like a vegetarian meal (student choice) without much concern, it is a much different situation when a child has a special dietary need or disability.

Making Accommodations for Children with Celiac Disease

Making Accommodations for Children with Celiac Disease

            More school food service directors/managers are making dietary accommodations for children who have been diagnosed with celiac disease.  Since this diagnosis is increasing, it is helpful for you to have a basic understanding of this illness so you and your staff can provide appropriate meals for children in your school.

Signage for Cafeterias

There are several companies that have relatively inexpensive signage available for purchase to illustrate USDA's MyPlate icon and/or ways to communicate the new meal pattern. We (the New York State Education Department) do not endorse or advocate specific companies or products. I just want to let you know of available options. Some districts are laminating the USDA posters.

If you decide to order your own signage using USDA's MyPlate materials, I have provided USDA's guide and conditions for using their icon.

Application and Other Household Materials for Limited English Proficient Households-REMINDER

This memorandum is a reminder to Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) of their responsibilities to Limited English Proficient (LEP) households in the upcoming 2012-2013 school year.  It reflects the guidance issued by the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) in December of 2011, which may be referenced under


USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

  1. mail:
    U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or
  2. fax:
    (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Click here for Nondiscrimination Statement translations.